Christian Home for Orphan Girls, Walthamstow, Essex
The Christian Home for Orphan Girls was established in 1866. Its object was 'to receive destitute orphan girls, to give them a real home, caring for their bodily wants, and seeking to bring them to a saving knowledge of the truth as it is in Jesus.' Applicants for admissiom were required to be orphans and judeged to be in real need. Such cases were admitted, when there were vacancies, at the discretion of the resident superintendent. An annual subscriber of £15 could also place an orphan in the Home. Each child was required, if possible, to be provided on entrance with linen, boots, and brush and comb. Certificates were required of parents' marriage, of their death, of the child's birth, and state of health.
In 1890, the Home occupied premises at Eastfield House, Hoe Street, Walthamstow, which were occupied by 33 girls. The inmates were trained for domestic, suitable situations being found for them at about 16 years of age.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- No records noted at present for this establishment — any information welcome.
- None noted at present.
- No surviving local records identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.