Wandsworth London Borough Council Homes
Children's establishments run by Wandsworth London Borough Council.
London (SE/SW Postal Areas)
- 50 Winstanley Road, Clapham
- 140 Woking Close, Putney
- 15 Genoa Avenue, Putney
- Hostel for Girls, 25 Westleigh Avenue, Putney
- 3 Briar Walk, Putney
- 4 Rayners Road, Putney
- 22 Thrale Road, Streatham†
- 27 Aldrington Road, Streatham†
- 33 Ullathorne Road, Streatham†
- 5 North Drive, Streatham†
- 8 North Drive, Streatham†
- Earlsfield House, 1 Swaffield Road, Wandsworth†
- Hartfield, Roehampton Lane, Wandsworth†
- Tudor Lodge Residential Nursery, 90 Wimbledon Park Side, Wimbledon†
- Wandsworth Council Children's Home, Beechholme, 1 Fir Tree Road, Banstead†
- Hazel Cottage, Miles Lane, Cobham†
- Fairmile Hatch Residential Nursey, Sandy Lane, Cobham†
- Willow Cottage, Miles Lane, Cobham†
- 10 Selham Close, Ifield, Crawley
- 14 Ferring Close, Ifield, Crawley
- 21/22 Lancing Close, Ifield, Crawley
- 23 Kirdford Close, Ifield, Crawley
- 67 Warren Drive, Ifield, Crawley
- 7 Lady Margaret Road, Ifield, Crawley
- Philanthropic Society's Farm School for Boys, Philanthropic Road, Redhill
- Mythe House, Goose Lane, Mayford, Woking†
† indicates homes previously run by a county council.
Surviving records for council-run children's homes are generally held in each council's own internal archives. Prior to 1991, however, when a legal requirement was introduced for councils to retain records of children leaving their care, the survival of such records is very variable. Contact details for local authorities in the UK can be found on the website of the Care Leavers Association (CLA). The CLA also provides guidance on accessing childhood care files, which are normally only open to the individuals they relate to.
Older records may sometimes be placed with the relevant county or borough record office. Many of these offices have online catalogues of their holdings and also contribute to the National Archives' Discovery database. Note that records containing personal data usually have access closed for a period of fifty years or more.
Older material relating to Wandsworth Council homes may exist at:
- Wandsworth Heritage Service, Battersea Library, 265 Lavender Hill, London SW11 1JB.
- London Metropolitan Archives, 40 Northampton Road, London EC1R OHB. (The Ancestry website also has LMA records relating to workhouses and other institutions — more details.)
Some records relating to council-run homes, for example inspection reports, are held by The National Archives (TNA). Again, a closure period may apply to these records.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.