Myton Gables / Elizabeth Bishop House, Warwick, Warwickshire
In October 1957, Barnardo's opened its Myton Gables home on Myton Road, Warwick. Originally just for girls, the home later became mixed. In August 1970, Barnardo's Elizabeth Bishop home at Stoke Bishop in Gloucestershire was closed and its children were transferred to Myton Gables which was itself then renamed Elizabeth Bishop House.
The home closed in 1984. The building has now been converted into private dwellings.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- Barnardo's Family History Service deals with enquiries regarding records of individual children — various services are available costing from £15 upwards.
Making Connections — a service for those wishing to access their Barnardo's adoption records.
- Barnardo's historical administrative records are now deposited with Liverpool University's Social Welfare Archives with stringent restrictions on their access.
- Barnardo, Syrie Louise, and Marchant, James Memoirs of the Late Dr Barnardo (Hodder & Stoughton, 1907)
- Batt, J.H. Dr. Barnardo: The Foster-Father of "Nobody's Children" (S.W. Partridge, 1904)
- Bready, J. Wesley Doctor Barnardo (Allen & Unwin, 1930)
- Rose, June For the Sake of the Children: Inside Dr. Barnardo's: 120 years of caring for children (Hodder & Stoughton, 1987)
- Wagner, Gillian Barnardo (Weidenfeld & Nicholson, 1979)
- The Barnardo's website.
- The Goldonian Website — memories and information from former Barnardo's children.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.