St John's Wood House, 100 College Road, West Dulwich, London
In around 1970, Barnardo's took over a property known as St John's Wood House at 100 College Road, West Dulwich. The building, originally a vicarage for the adjacent St Stephen's Church, had subsequently been used as a hotel. From around 1954 until 1969 it is believed to have become a home for single mothers run by the charity founded by Miss Sharman, who had operated a number of children's homes in London and the south-east of England from the 1870s until the 1920s.
Barnardo's used the premises as a mixed home for only a relatively short period. After its closure, the building stood empty for a number of years but was then renovated for private residential use.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- Barnardo's 'Making Connections' and Family History Services — for enquiries relating the records of children formerly in the care of Barnardo's and those of other organisations absorbed by them.
- The National Archives, Kew, Richmond, Surrey, TW9 4DU. File BN62/1298 — inspection reports (1962-68). [Access closed for 75 years]
- Barnardo, Syrie Louise, and Marchant, James Memoirs of the Late Dr Barnardo (Hodder & Stoughton, 1907)
- Batt, J.H. Dr. Barnardo: The Foster-Father of "Nobody's Children" (S.W. Partridge, 1904)
- Bready, J. Wesley Doctor Barnardo (Allen & Unwin, 1930)
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- Rose, June For the Sake of the Children: Inside Dr. Barnardo's: 120 years of caring for children (Hodder & Stoughton, 1987)
- Wagner, Gillian Barnardo (Weidenfeld & Nicholson, 1979)
- The Barnardo's website.
- The Goldonian Website — memories and information from former Barnardo's children.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.