St Mary's Industrial Home for Girls, Winchester, Hampshire
On March 24th, 1873, the St Mary's Industrial Home for Girls was certified to operate as an Industrial School at 19 St Peter Street, Winchester.
The establishment was intended chiefly to receive girls committed under section 14 of The Prevention of Crimes Act, 1871, which provided for children under 14 of female repeat offenders to be placed in an Industrial School. By the end of 1873, no children had been admitted because, it was said, of the refusal of the Treasury to sanction any payment for such children until they had attained the age of six years.
After this situation persisted for a further year, the Home was closed in 1875.
The St Peter Street premises were subsequently used as a home for discharged female prisoners. In more recent times the building has been occupied by offices.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- None identfied at present — any information welcome.
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- Mahood, Linda Policing Gender, Class and Family: Britain, 1850-1940 (1995, Univeristy of Alberta Press)
- Prahms, Wendy Newcastle Ragged and Industrial School (2006, The History Press)
- None noted at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.