New Lodge, Windsor Forest, Berkshire

In September 1942, a Barnardo's Home for 99 boys aged 5 to 14 was opened at New Lodge on Drift Road, Winkfield in Windsor Forest. The building, dating back to the sixteenth century, had been one of seven ancient lodges in the forest. Prior to the second world war, it had been used as an exclusive clinic then was sublet to house refugees in 1939. Barnardo's originally acquired the property for use as a wartime home, but it continued in use after the war and in 1947 became a mixed home for children aged five to seventeen.

New Lodge, Windsor Forest, 2014. © Peter Higginbotham

New Lodge, Windsor Forest.

The home was closed in 1958 and the premises were then acquired by the British Transport Commission for use as a training school for railway catering staff. The building is now used as office accommodation.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.

Bibliography

  • Barnardo, Syrie Louise, and Marchant, James Memoirs of the Late Dr Barnardo (Hodder & Stoughton, 1907)
  • Batt, J.H. Dr. Barnardo: The Foster-Father of "Nobody's Children" (S.W. Partridge, 1904)
  • Bready, J. Wesley Doctor Barnardo (Allen & Unwin, 1930)
  • Rose, June For the Sake of the Children: Inside Dr. Barnardo's: 120 years of caring for children (Hodder & Stoughton, 1987)
  • Wagner, Gillian Barnardo (Weidenfeld & Nicholson, 1979)