Wolverhampton Borough Council Homes
Children's establishments run by Wolverhampton Borough Council.
- Ashleigh House, 107 Gorge Road, Coseley, Bilston
- Ashleigh, Gorge Road, Coseley, Bilston
- Braybrook House Reception centre, 53 Amos Lane, Wednesfield
- Wolverhampton Union/Council Cottage Homes, Amos Lane, Wednesfield*
- Barrett House, Amos Lane, Wednesfield*
- Watterson House, Amos Lane, Wednesfield*
- 1-3 Cavendish Gardens, Wolverhampton
- 17 Bramerton Close, Prestwood Road, Wolverhampton
- 35 Cromwell Road, Bushbury, Wolverhampton
- 53 Burcot Avenue, Wolverhampton
- 54 Windmill Lane, Castlecroft, Wolverhampton
- 6 Bewdley Drive, Wolverhampton
- 73 Burcot Avenue, Wolverhampton
- 79 Warstones Road, Wolverhampton
- Aldersley House, Aldersley House, Crossland Crescent, Wolverhampton
- Wolverhampton Day Industrial School, Salop Street, Wolverhampton
* indicates link to pages on www.workhouses.org.uk.
Surviving records for council-run children's homes are generally held in each council's own internal archives. Prior to 1991, however, when a legal requirement was introduced for councils to retain records of children leaving their care, the survival of such records is very variable. Contact details for local authorities in the UK can be found on the website of the Care Leavers Association (CLA). The CLA also provides guidance on accessing childhood care files, which are normally only open to the individuals they relate to.
Older records may sometimes be placed with the relevant county or borough record office. Many of these offices have online catalogues of their holdings and also contribute to the National Archives' Discovery database. Note that records containing personal data usually have access closed for a period of fifty years or more.
Older material relating to Wolverhampton Council homes may exist at:
- Wolverhampton Archives and Local Studies, Molineux Hotel Building, Whitmore Hill, Wolverhampton WV1 1SF.
Some records relating to council-run homes, for example inspection reports, are held by The National Archives (TNA). Again, a closure period may apply to these records.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.