Thurlby House Special School for Roman Catholic Boys, Woodford Bridge, Essex
The Thurlby House Special School for 'Mentally Defective' Roman Catholic boys was established in around 1914 at Chigwell Road, Woodford Bridge. The premises were certified for use as an Industrial School.
In 1919, the establishment relocated to Buntingford and became the St Francis' Special School for Roman Catholic Mentally Defective Boys.
Thurlby House was re-opened in 1919 by Barnardo's as a home for disabled boys.
The property has now been converted to residential use.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- No records noted at present for this establishment — any information welcome.
- None noted at present.
- No surviving local records identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.