Princess Margaret School, Woodford Bridge, Essex

The Princess Margaret Residential Secondary Modern School for Girls was opened in 1951. It was the latest addition to the facilities at Barnardo's Garden City, originally founded as a boys' home but which had become a mixed establishment in 1945.

Although still described as a training school, the establishment had many features of a traditional boarding school with uniforms, houses (Britannia, Corby, Wakefield and Gordon Williams) and a school crest (a coronet, book and shield, representing loyalty, learning and faith).

The school was quite short-lived, however, and was closed in 1957.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.

Bibliography

  • Barnardo, Syrie Louise, and Marchant, James Memoirs of the Late Dr Barnardo (Hodder & Stoughton, 1907)
  • Batt, J.H. Dr. Barnardo: The Foster-Father of "Nobody's Children" (S.W. Partridge, 1904)
  • Bready, J. Wesley Doctor Barnardo (Allen & Unwin, 1930)
  • Rose, June For the Sake of the Children: Inside Dr. Barnardo's: 120 years of caring for children (Hodder & Stoughton, 1987)
  • Wagner, Gillian Barnardo (Weidenfeld & Nicholson, 1979)