Worcestershire County Council Homes
Children's establishments run by Worcestershire County Council.
- The Grove, 150 Stourbridge Road, Bromsgrove
- The Birches Hostel for Girls, 98 New Road, Bromsgrove
- Rigby Hall Nursery, Rigby Lane, Bromsgrove
- Bromsgrove Union / Worcestershire Council Cottage Home, The Grove, 150 Stourbridge Road, Bromsgrove*
- Community Home, 1-3 Peewit Road, Evesham
- Evesham Union / Worcestershire Council Cottage Homes, Peewit Lane/Road, Great Hampton*
- St Gilbert's School for Boys, Waresley House, Hartlebury
- Pelham Lodge, 145 Chester Road South, Kidderminster
- Shepherd House, Hanley Swan, Malvern
- Welland Remand Home, The Old Vicarage, Welland, Malvern
- Community Home, 11A Mill Lane, Pershore
- Cottage Homes, 48 Station Road, Pershore
- Heathlands Cottage, 1A Mill Lane, Pershore
- Community Home, 45 Downsell Road, Redditch
- Field View Hostel for Boys, Brickhouse Lane, Stoke Prior
- West Hill / Margaret Westwood Nursery, 107 Hagley Road, Stourbridge
- Stourbridge Union / Worcestershire Council Cottage Homes, The Mere, Norton Road, Norton, Stourbridge*
- Community Home, Daylesford, Stourport on Severn
- Cottage Homes, Upton on Severn
- Lower Wick House, Malvern Road, Worcester
* indicates link to pages on www.workhouses.org.uk.
Surviving records for council-run children's homes are generally held in each council's own internal archives. Prior to 1991, however, when a legal requirement was introduced for councils to retain records of children leaving their care, the survival of such records is very variable. Contact details for local authorities in the UK can be found on the website of the Care Leavers Association (CLA). The CLA also provides guidance on accessing childhood care files, which are normally only open to the individuals they relate to.
Older records may sometimes be placed with the relevant county or borough record office. Many of these offices have online catalogues of their holdings and also contribute to the National Archives' Discovery database. Note that records containing personal data usually have access closed for a period of fifty years or more.
Older material relating to Worcestershire Council homes may exist at:
- Worcestershire Archive and Archaeology Service, The Hive, Sawmill Walk, The Butts, Worcester, WR1 3PB.
Some records relating to council-run homes, for example inspection reports, are held by The National Archives (TNA). Again, a closure period may apply to these records.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.