Merchant Navy Training School, Wynghene (Wingene), West Flanders, Belgium
In 1855, a branch institution of the boys' reform school at Ruysselede was opened on a three-acre a site on Sint Pietersveldstraat, in the commune of Wynghene (now Wingene) about 400 metres to the south-west of the original insitution. The new establishment was intended to train reform school boys for service in the France's merchant navy.
A large pond was dug on land between the two school sites, on which floated the training school's ship. This vessel, modeled on a three-master of the commercial fleet, had a length of 100 feet and a width of 24 feet. The French Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Directorate of the Navy of the State helped equip the ship and provided a large part of the rigging together with equipment from old gunboats. To prevent accidents during exercises, a net was placed over the whole length of the ship at a height of 2 metres above the bridge.hene (Wingene), c.ZZ.
The naval school continued in operation until 1913, when the building became used to house destitute and vagrant children. In 1930, the site was taken over by the Directorate of Telegraphy and Telephony. In recent times, the building has been standing empty but with plans being discussed for its renovation.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- None identfied at present — any information welcome.
- Carpenter, Mary Reformatory Schools, for the Children of the Perishing and Dangerous Classes, and for Juvenile Offenders (1851, General Books; various reprints available)
- Carlebach, Julius Caring for Children in Trouble (1970, Routledge & Kegan Paul)
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- Abel Smith, Doroth Crouchfield: A History of the Herts Training School 1857-1982 (2008, Able Publishing)
- Garnett, Emmeline Juvenile offenders in Victorian Lancashire: W J Garnnett and the Bleasdale Reformatory (2008, Regional Heritage Centre, Lancaster University)
- Hicks, J.D. The Yorkshire Catholic Reformatory, Market Weighton (1996, East Yorkshire Local History Society)
- Slocombe, Ivor Wiltshire Reformatory for Boys, Warminster, 1856-1924 (2005, Hobnob Press)
- Duckworth, J.S. The Hardwicke Reformatory School, Gloucestershire (in Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, 1995, Vol. 113, 151-165)
- Red Lodge Museum, Bristol — a former girls' reformatory.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.