York Borough Council Homes
Children's establishments run by York Borough Council.
- 103A Danebury Drive, Acomb, York
- York Union/Council Receiving Home, 120 Haxby Road, York*
- 249 Kingsway North, York
- Home for Boys, 4 Feversham Crescent, York
- 6 Nursery Drive, Acomb, York
- York Union/Council Scattered Home, 68 Wiggington Road, York*
- Ashbank House, 9 Ashford Place, Acomb, York
- The Glen Residential Nursery, Bull Lane, Heworth, York
- The Glen Residential Nursery, Ousecliffe Gardens, York
- St Hilda's Garth Reception Centre, Ousecliffe Gardens, York
- Remand Home, Shipton Road, Clifton, York
- Central Home, St Hilda's, 84 Lowther Street, York
- Stockton Hall School, Stockton on the Forest, York
- York Union/Council Scattered Home (Infants), The Elms, Hull Road, York*
* indicates link to pages on www.workhouses.org.uk.
Surviving records for council-run children's homes are generally held in each council's own internal archives. Prior to 1991, however, when a legal requirement was introduced for councils to retain records of children leaving their care, the survival of such records is very variable. Contact details for local authorities in the UK can be found on the website of the Care Leavers Association (CLA). The CLA also provides guidance on accessing childhood care files, which are normally only open to the individuals they relate to.
Older records may sometimes be placed with the relevant county or borough record office. Many of these offices have online catalogues of their holdings and also contribute to the National Archives' Discovery database. Note that records containing personal data usually have access closed for a period of fifty years or more.
Older material relating to York Council homes may exist at:
- York City Archives, York Explore Centre, Museum Street, York YO1 7DS.
Some records relating to council-run homes, for example inspection reports, are held by The National Archives (TNA). Again, a closure period may apply to these records.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.