East Riding of Yorkshire County Council Homes
Children's establishments run by East Riding of Yorkshire County Council.
- 14 Railway Street, Beverley
- Westwood House, Westwood, Beverley
- Home for Boys, Brandesburton
- Home for Girls, Brandesburton
- Hostel, 117 Cardigan Road, Bridlington
- The Parker Home Nursery, 21 Marton Road, Bridlington
- Firtholme, Long Lane, Bridlington
- Hartendale House, 27 South Back Lane, Bridlington
- Hoggard House, High Street, Bridlington
- Mother and Babies Hostel, 'The Avenue' Hospital, Westgate, Bridlington
- 13 Northgate, Cottingham
- 17 Northgate, Cottingham
- 42-43 Victoria Road, Driffield
- Home for Girls, 44 Victoria Road, Driffield
- Kindergarten, 45 Victoria Road, Driffield
- Brookville, Bridge Street, Driffield
- Home for Boys, Northern House, Scarborough Road, Driffield
- Ravenswood, 12 Cliff Road, Hornsea
- Yorkshire Roman Catholic Reformatory for Boys / St William's, Market Weighton
- Fair View, Pocklington
- Kilnwick Road, Pocklington
- Fulford Lodge, Fulford, York
Surviving records for council-run children's homes are generally held in each council's own internal archives. Prior to 1991, however, when a legal requirement was introduced for councils to retain records of children leaving their care, the survival of such records is very variable. Contact details for local authorities in the UK can be found on the website of the Care Leavers Association (CLA). The CLA also provides guidance on accessing childhood care files, which are normally only open to the individuals they relate to.
Older records may sometimes be placed with the relevant county or borough record office. Many of these offices have online catalogues of their holdings and also contribute to the National Archives' Discovery database. Note that records containing personal data usually have access closed for a period of fifty years or more.
Older material relating to East Riding of Yorkshire Council homes may exist at:
- East Riding of Yorkshire Archives and Local Studies, The Treasure House, Champney Road, Beverley HU17 9BA .
- York City Archives, York Explore Centre, Museum Street, York YO1 7DS.
Some records relating to council-run homes, for example inspection reports, are held by The National Archives (TNA). Again, a closure period may apply to these records.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.