West Riding of Yorkshire County Council Homes
Children's establishments run (at some time in their history) by West Riding of Yorkshire County Council.
- 85 Shaftesbury Avenue, Woodlands, Adwick le Street
- 69 Pinewood Avenue, Armthorpe
- Tong Park Children's / Remand Home, Hollin Head, Baildon
- Hyrstlands School, 28 Track Road, Batley
- Dryfield House, 207 Healey Lane, Batley
- Tadcaster Union / West Riding Council Cottage Homes, Main Street, Bilbrough*
- Oakroyd Hall, Oakroyd Drive, Bradford Road, Birkenshaw
- Bramham House, Freely Lane, Bramham, Boston Spa
- The Court Assessment Centre, Station Road, Burley in Wharfedale
- Pontefract Union / West Riding Council Cottage Homes, Eastwell Lodge, Moor Lane, Carleton*
- Eastwell Lodge, Moor Lane, Carleton
- Lane End House, 230 Lane End, Chapeltown
- North Bierley Union / West Ridng Council Scattered Home, 29 Beaconsfield Road, Clayton*
- North Bierley Union Probationary Home and Nursery, Beaconsfield Road, Clayton*
- Dewsbury Union / West Riding Council Cottage Homes, Heald's Road, Staincliffe, Dewsbury*
- The Mount, Healds Road, Staincliffe, Dewsbury
- Wyndthorpe Hall Residential Nursery, Thorne Road (now High Street), Dunsville
- Waterloo Manor, Selby Road, Garforth
- Follingworth House, 48 Knowles Lane, Gomersal
- Gomersal House, Lower Lane, Gomersal
- 152 Boothferry Road, Goole
- Greenawn, 1 Airmyn Road, Goole
- Rawcliffe, Goole
- 43 John Street, Great Houghton
- Leadhall Grange Residential Nursery, Leadhall Drive, Harrogate
- Harlow Court Residential Nursery, Otley Road, Harrogate
- 13A Marton Avenue, Hemsworth
- 17 Highfield Place, Hemsworth
- Hemsworth Union / West Riding Council Cottage Homes, Barnsley Road, Hemsworth*
- The Cedars, 32 Barnsley Road, Hemsworth
- Wheatley Lawn Residential Nursery, 46 Clifton Road, Ben Rhydding, Ilkley
- Hill Top, Westwood Drive, Ilkley
- Keighley Union / West Riding Council Receiving Home, Nashville Road, Oakworth Road, Keighley*
- 2 Ings Road, Kinsley
- West Riding Council Home, Holly Bank, 4 Stockwell Lane, Knaresborough
- St Faith's Home, 18 Moorland Road, Leeds
- Springhead Park School, Park Lane, Rothwell, Leeds
- 46 Maple Avenue, Maltby
- Westfields Reception/Assessment Centre, Westfields Road, 13 Crowlees Road, Mirfield
- Inglewood, 80 Bradford Road, Otley
- Greenhow Hill, Pateley Bridge
- Cubley Hall, Mortimer Road, Penistone
- Elm Grove Residential Nursery, Halfpenny Lane, Pontefract
- Crawshaw House, 27 Crawshaw Road, Pudsey
- 140 Green Lane, Rawmarsh
- 9 Marriott Place, Rawmarsh
- 14 Morrison Drive, Rossington
- Sherwood House Nursery, 136 Moorgate Road, Rotherham
- Danes Hill, 185 Moorgate Road, Rotherham
- 167 Amersall Road, Scawthorpe
- 41 Stonehill Rise, Scawthorpe
- Huddersfield Union / West Riding Council Cottage Homes, The Leas, Scholes*
- Brook Street, Selby
- Skellow Hall, Cross Hill, Skellow
- Skipton Union / West Riding Council Cottage Home, Aireview House, Broughton Road, Skipton*
- Burnside House, Carleton Road, Skipton
- Gargrave Road, Skipton
- 4 Cromwell Drive, Sprotborough
- Southville, Sunfield Place, Stanningley
- 2 Millstone Drive, Swallowsnest
- 2 Goodwin Crescent, Swinton
- St Camillus' School, Scarthingwell, Barkston Ash, Tadcaster
- 18 St Edmund's Avenue, Thurcroft
- Todmorden Union / West Riding Council Cottage Homes, Mankinholes, Todmorden*
- Dobroyd Castle School, Pexwood Road, Todmorden
- Sandal Hall, 335 Barnsley Road, Wakefield
- St John's Home Training School, St John's Square, Wakefield
- St John's Training Home, St John's Square, Wakefield
- Wakefield Union Scattered Home, Stoneville, 112 Lower York St, Wakefield*
- Sandal Residential Nursery, Walton Lane, Wakefield
- 58 Quarry Hill Road, Wath
- Ainsty Lodge, York Road, Wetherby
- The Elms Residential Nursery, 160 Hull Road, York
* indicates link to pages on www.workhouses.org.uk.
The involvement of local authorities in the running of children's homes dates from 1930, when they took over the running of the poor relief system previously administered by Boards of Guardians. Surviving records for council-run children's homes may be held in each council's own internal archives. Prior to 1991, however, when a legal requirement was introduced for councils to retain records of children leaving their care, the survival of such records is very variable. Contact details for local authorities in the UK can be found on the website of the Care Leavers Association (CLA). The CLA also provides guidance on accessing childhood care files, which are normally only open to the individuals they relate to.
Locating local authority records has been complicated by the various local government reorganizations that have taken place in recent times, such as the abolition of the London County Council in 1965, and the major nationwide restructuring in 1974 in which many administrative areas were created, amended or eliminated.
Older records may sometimes be placed with the relevant county or borough record office. Many of these repositories have online catalogues of their holdings and also contribute to the National Archives' Discovery database. Note that records containing personal data usually have access closed for a period of fifty years or more.
Older material relating to West Riding of Yorkshire Council homes may exist at:
- West Yorkshire Archive Service - Bradford, Prince's Way, Bradford BD1 1NN.
- West Yorkshire Archive Service - Calderdale, Central Library, Northgate House, Northgate, Halifax HX1 1UN.
- West Yorkshire Archive Service - Kirklees, Central Library, Princess Alexandra Walk, Huddersfield HD1 2SU.
- West Yorkshire Archive Service - Leeds, Nepshaw Lane South, Morley, Leeds LS27 7JQ.
- West Yorkshire Archive Service - Wakefield, Registry of Deeds, Newstead Road, Wakefield WF1 2DE.
Some records relating to council-run homes, for example inspection reports, are held by The National Archives (TNA). Again, a closure period may apply to these records.
- Cooke, Allan Institutionalized in a Children's Home: Skellow Hall 1950-1963 — a true story of a child and children in a home (2012, Authorhouse)
- Cummings, Les Forgotten: The Heartrending Story of Life in a Children's Home
- Limbrick, Gudrun The Children of the Homes: a century of Erdington Cottage Homes
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.