Delrow House Approved School, Aldenham, Hertfordshire
On 1 November 1945, an Approved School for Girls was certified to begin operation in a large property known as Delrow House on Hilfield Lane, Patchetts Green, near Aldenham. The school had a special unit for the treatment of venereal diseases.
The school's certificate was withdrawn on 30 September 1957.
Delrow House is now home to the Delrow Community, providing supported accommodation for individuals with mental health problems and learning disabilities.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- None identfied at present — any information welcome.
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- Hyland,Jim Yesterday's Answers: Yesterday's Answers: Development and Decline of Schools for Young Offenders (1993, Whiting and Birch)
- Millham, S, Bullock, R, and Cherrett, P After Grace — Teeth: a comparative study of the residential experience of boys in Approved Schools (1975, Chaucer Publishing)
- The Delrow Community
- The Therapeutic Care Journal — has a number of articles relating to Approved Schools.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.