Patriotic Orphan Home, New Alresford, Hampshire
The Patriotic Orphan Home, at New Alresford, Hampshire, was opened in the 1850s. It was founded by the Misses Arabella and Matilda Onslow of Upton House, Old Alresford. It initially received children orphaned as a result of the Crimean War and received funds from the Royal Patriotic Fund inaugurated in 1954 by Queen Victoria to collect donations to support the widows and orphans of deceased servicemen. The Home also received financial support from the Misses Onslow.
The Home originally occupied premises as the east side of Broad Street, New Alresford. In around 1884, following the closure of the Alresford Industrial School at Old Alresford, also supported by the Onslows, the Home moved to take over the premises vacated by the School. It continued in operation until the death of Matilda Onslow in 1885.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- No records noted at present for this establishment — any information welcome.
- None noted at present.
- No surviving local records identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.