Avalon, Chislehurst, Kent

On 6th January, 1949, the Avalon Approved School was formally approved for operation in premises at Summer Hill, Chislehurst. The establishment, run by by the Salvation Army, had previously been located at Lower Clapton Road in north-east London.

Avalon could accommodate up to 27 Senior Girls, aged between their 15th and 17th birthdays at their date of admission.

In 1973, the School became a Community Home with Education (CHE) in conjunction with Bromley London Borough Council. Avalon was used as a secure unit for persistent absconders and its facilities included a padded cell.

In more recent times, the property has been used as a Salvation Army training centre.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.

Bibliography

  • Booth, William In Darkest England, and the Way Out (1890, London: International Headquarters of the Salvation Army)
  • Sandall, Robert The History of the Salvation Army (1955, London: Nelson)