The New Mossford Centre, Ilford, Essex

The New Mossford Centre on Civic Way in Ilford was opened by Barnardo's in July 1975 as a mixed home and educational facility for up to sixty severely disabled children. It was located at the eastern side of Barnardo's main Barkingside Girls' Village site, an area that had formerly been laid out as ornamental gardens. The home took its name from the site nearby of Mossford Lodge, the house where in 1873 Dr Barnardo and his wife had lived after they were first married. Many of the Centre's initial children came from the Hanbury Hospital Home at Woodford Bridge which was then being closed.

The home closed in 1992, at which time it housed the last remaining children in care on the Barkingside site. After standing empty for a number of years, the building has now been demolished.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.

Bibliography

  • Barnardo, Syrie Louise, and Marchant, James Memoirs of the Late Dr Barnardo (Hodder & Stoughton, 1907)
  • Batt, J.H. Dr. Barnardo: The Foster-Father of "Nobody's Children" (S.W. Partridge, 1904)
  • Bready, J. Wesley Doctor Barnardo (Allen & Unwin, 1930)
  • Rose, June For the Sake of the Children: Inside Dr. Barnardo's: 120 years of caring for children (Hodder & Stoughton, 1987)
  • Wagner, Gillian Barnardo (Weidenfeld & Nicholson, 1979)