St Margaret's Home, Birkenhead, Cheshire
St Margaret's Home for Roman Catholic girls was established in 1888 at Mersey Road, Rock Ferry, Birkenhead. The premises could accommodate up to 80 girls, its inmates including poor penitent girls, rescue and preventive cases. The home was run by the Sisters of Charity.
By 1949, the premises housed a new hostel for business girls.
After standing empty for many years, the building was renovated in 2012-2013.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- [an error occurred while processing this directive]
- Mahood, Linda Policing Gender, Class and Family: Britain, 1850-1940 (1995, Univeristy of Alberta Press)
- Prahms, Wendy Newcastle Ragged and Industrial School (2006, The History Press)
- No surviving local records identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.