St Mary's Industrial School for Roman Catholic Girls, Blackrock, Dublin, Republic of Ireland
On May 10 1895, St Mary's Industrial School for Roman Catholic Girls was certified to operate in premises at Carysfort Avenue, Blackrock, Co. Dublin. It occupied part of the Carysfort Park Convent belonging to the Sisters of Mercy. The School could accommodate up to 80 girls, by which amount the capacity of the Booterstown School was reduced, and that number transferred from the latter school to Carysfort, along with its manager, Mrs Alice Keenan.
The School closed on 27 December 1901, with 26 of the then inmates being transferred to the Booterstown Industrial School and 37 to the Golden Bridge Industrial School, both establishments also run by the Sisters of Mercy.
The site subsequently became the Carysfort Park Training College. The property has now been converted to residential use.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- Mercy Congregational Archives, Catherine McAuley Centre, 23 Herbert Street, Dublin 2, D02 HD68, Ireland.
- Mahood, Linda Policing Gender, Class and Family: Britain, 1850-1940 (1995, Univeristy of Alberta Press)
- Prahms, Wendy Newcastle Ragged and Industrial School (2006, The History Press)
- Sisters of Mercy GB
- Mercy International Association
- Glencree Reconciliation Centre (former Reformatory site)
- The Commission to Inquire into Child Abuse
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.