Bootle Day Industrial School, Bootle, Lancashire
In 1895, the Bootle School Board opened a Day Industrial School at Seafield Road, off Marsh Lane, Bootle, at the north side of Liverpool. On December 3rd, 1895, the establishment was certified to accommodate 300 children, aged 5-14. The superintendent was Miss Faulkner.
The School premises, which extended over 4 floors, had originally been a convent and then used as artisans' dwellings. A report in 1896 noted that the rooms were bright and airy, and the whole place well fitted, with good play-yards and sheds, and a recreation and drill ball on the top floor. Musical drill with dumb-belts was given to both boys and girls. There was also a good swimming bath, used in winter and summer and many of the boys swam well. Twenty-four boys received manual instruction for 3½ hours a week. The girls were taught knitting and sewing, and special instruction in cookery and laundry work was given to the older girls. Occasional entertainments were organised given. The question of holidays was still under consideration, but a few days had been given at Easter. Three-quarters of the children were Roman Catholics.
On March 1st, 1898, Miss P. Wall replaced Miss Faulkner as superintendent. Miss Wall died on November 16th, 1906, and was succeeded by Miss S. Ratchford.
The School was closed on June 30th, 1914. The building no longer survives.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- No records noted at present for this establishment — any information welcome.
- Mahood, Linda Policing Gender, Class and Family: Britain, 1850-1940 (1995, Univeristy of Alberta Press)
- Prahms, Wendy Newcastle Ragged and Industrial School (2006, The History Press)
- None noted at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.