Cardiff Borough Council Homes
Children's establishments run by Cardiff Borough Council.
- Cardif Union/Council Receiving Home, 103 Cowbridge Road [West], Cardiff*
- 118 Cathedral Road, Cardiff
- 1-2 Thompson Avenue, Cardiff
- Cardif Union/Council Scattered Home, 13-15 Northcote Street, Roath, Cardiff*
- 132 Penylan Road, Cardiff
- Cardif Union/Council Scattered Home, 145-7 Clive Road, Canton, Cardiff*
- 18 Gwbert Close, Rumney, Cardiff
- Cardif Union/Council Scattered Home, 22 Woodville Road, Cathays, Cardiff*
- 29 Abergele Road, Cardiff
- 318 Cowbridge Road West, Cardiff
- Cardiff Councll Hostel, 34 Arles Road, Cardiff
- 39 Partridge Road, Cardiff
- Cardif Union/Council Scattered Home, 40-42 Llanfair Road, Canton, Cardiff*
- Cardif Union/Council Scattered Home, 433-435 (now 485-487) Cowbridge Road [East], Canton, Cardiff*
- Cardif Union/Council Scattered Home, 449-451 (now 501-503) Cowbridge Road [East], Canton, Cardiff*
- 487 Cowbridge Road East, Cardiff
- 495 Cowbridge Road East, Cardiff
- 503 Cowbridge Road East, Cardiff
- 67 Cowbridge Road West, Cardiff
- 7 Romilly Road, Cardiff
- Cardif Union/Council Scattered Home, 9-15 Romilly Crescent, Canton, Cardiff*
- Cardiff Union/Council Schools and Cottage Homes, Cowbridge Road [West], Ely, Cardiff*
- Cardiff and Barry Truant / Industrial School for Boys, Dinas Powis, Cardiff
- Famil Group Home, Gorse Place, Pentrebane, Cardiff
- Cardif Council Scattered Home, Pembroke House, 1 Conway Road, Cardiff
- Residential Nursery, Suffolk House, Llandaff Road, Cardiff
- Remand Home for Boys / Penhill Community Home, The Rise, Penhill Road, Cardiff
- John Kane Reception Home, The Rise, Thornhill Road, Llanishen, Cardiff
- Residential Training Nursery, Trowbridge Nursery, Greenway Road, Rumney, Cardiff
- Home for Maladjusted Children, Walker House, Fidlas Road, Llanishen, Cardiff
- Sixteen Scattered Homes, Cardiff
- Suffolk House Babies' Nursery, Cardiff
* indicates link to pages on www.workhouses.org.uk.
Surviving records for council-run children's homes are generally held in each council's own internal archives. Prior to 1991, however, when a legal requirement was introduced for councils to retain records of children leaving their care, the survival of such records is very variable. Contact details for local authorities in the UK can be found on the website of the Care Leavers Association (CLA). The CLA also provides guidance on accessing childhood care files, which are normally only open to the individuals they relate to.
Older records may sometimes be placed with the relevant county or borough record office. Many of these offices have online catalogues of their holdings and also contribute to the National Archives' Discovery database. Note that records containing personal data usually have access closed for a period of fifty years or more.
Older material relating to Cardiff Council homes may exist at:
- Glamorgan Archives, Clos Parc Morgannwg, Leckwith, Cardiff CF11 8AW.
Some records relating to council-run homes, for example inspection reports, are held by The National Archives (TNA). Again, a closure period may apply to these records.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.