Robin House School for Boys, Croydon, Surrey
The Robin House Industrial School for Boys was founded in 1920. It followed a donation of a property for the purpose at 6 Morland Road, Croydon, by Mr and Mrs Heath Clark. It was named Robin House in memory their deceased young son, Robin. On January 6th, 1920, the premises were formally certified to operate in premises at Robin Hood House, 6 Morland Road, Croydon, Surrey, with accommodation for up to 20 boys, aged 7 to 14 years at their date of admission.
As well as acting as an Industrial School for boys placed under detention by magistrates, Robin House was also used as a Remand Home for those awaiting court appearances. The latter had formerly been accommodated at the workhouse.
The boys attended the ordinary elementary school in the neighbourhood. Before being put on their honour by being allowed out on license, the received training in cookery, mending, household work and gardening.
Former inmates often kept in touch with the School, sometimes visiting at Christmas. In 1926, one 'old boy' spent his ten days' leave from the army there, and brought his brother with him. The boys had freedom to go out at any reasonable time. In 1925, they a week's summer camp at Pilgrim Fort and another week near Sevenoaks. They could to their own homes least once month. Helpers from Toc H came to l teach scouting, boxing, gymnasium work and bugling.
In 1925, accusations were made of "irregular punishment" being administered by the superintendent. The government's Chief Inspector visited the School and concluded that the superintendent was unfit to be in charge. After the School's managers were reluctant to dismiss the superintendent, the withdrawal of the establishment's certificate was threatened. The School eventually resigned its certificate in 1928.
In 1935, the building was taken over to become the Croydon Centre for Unemployed Men. In more recent times, the Morland Road Clinic has occupied the building.
6 Morland Road, Croydon.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- The National Archives, Kew, Richmond, Surrey, TW9 4DU. Has reports relating the Chief Inspector's investigations in 1925-6.
- Mahood, Linda Policing Gender, Class and Family: Britain, 1850-1940 (1995, Univeristy of Alberta Press)
- Prahms, Wendy Newcastle Ragged and Industrial School (2006, The History Press)
- None noted at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.