Devon County Council Homes
Children's establishments run by Devon County Council.
- Barnstaple Union Cottage Home / Luscombe House, 19A Alexandra Road, Barnstaple*
- St Anne's, Pixie Lane, Braunton
- Westmead Nursery, Braunton
- Devon County Remand Home for Boys, Fullaford House, Wallaford Road, Buckfastleigh
- Community Home, Brookhayes, Pilton Road, Exeter
- Devon and Exeter Reformatory Farm School for Boys / Northbrook School, Beacon Lane, Whipton, Exeter
- Farringdon House School, Farringdon, Exeter
- Community Home, Meadowside, 41 Highweek Road, Newton Abbot
- Newton Abbot Union Receiving Home, Meadowside, 41 Highweek Road, Newton Abbot*
- Forde Park School for Boys, College Road, Newton Abbot
- Fairlea Nursery, Northan
- Broadhaven Home, Broadsands Road, Paignton
- Plympton St Mary Union Cottage Homes, 12-13 Beaumont Terrace, Crownhill, Plymouth*
- Ryalls Court, Marlpit Lane, Seaton
- South Molton Union Home, 41 East Street, South Molton*
- Tavistock Union Scattered Home, 33 West Street, Tavistock*
- Community Home, St Leonard's, Brewin Road, Tiverton
- Reception Home, Villa Languard, Torquay
- Ayshford Home, Uffculme
- Devon County Council Institution, Stoke Lyne, Withycombe
* indicates link to pages on www.workhouses.org.uk.
Surviving records for council-run children's homes are generally held in each council's own internal archives. Prior to 1991, however, when a legal requirement was introduced for councils to retain records of children leaving their care, the survival of such records is very variable. Contact details for local authorities in the UK can be found on the website of the Care Leavers Association (CLA). The CLA also provides guidance on accessing childhood care files, which are normally only open to the individuals they relate to.
Older records may sometimes be placed with the relevant county or borough record office. Many of these offices have online catalogues of their holdings and also contribute to the National Archives' Discovery database. Note that records containing personal data usually have access closed for a period of fifty years or more.
Older material relating to Devon Council homes may exist at:
- Devon Heritage Services, Great Moor House, Bittern Road, Sowton, Exeter, Devon EX2 7NL.
- Plymouth and West Devon Record Office, Unit 3, Clare Place, Plymouth PL4 0JW.
Some records relating to council-run homes, for example inspection reports, are held by The National Archives (TNA). Again, a closure period may apply to these records.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.