Churchill House, Eastbourne, Sussex

Barnardo's Churchill House home for boys was opened in 1946 at Vicarage Road, Eastbourne, Sussex. It accommodated boys aged from 5 to 15.

The location of the home is shown on the 1959 map below.

Churchill House site, Eastbourne, c.1959.

The Vicarage Road building no longer exists but is commemorated in the name of the residential road, Churchill Close, that now covers the site.

In 1964, the home moved a short distance to new premises on Summerdown Road, Eastbourne, becoming mixed from 1966. From this date the home is sometimes referred to as Churchill House and Whitewood House. The home was closed in August 1971.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.

Bibliography

  • Barnardo, Syrie Louise, and Marchant, James Memoirs of the Late Dr Barnardo (Hodder & Stoughton, 1907)
  • Batt, J.H. Dr. Barnardo: The Foster-Father of "Nobody's Children" (S.W. Partridge, 1904)
  • Bready, J. Wesley Doctor Barnardo (Allen & Unwin, 1930)
  • Rose, June For the Sake of the Children: Inside Dr. Barnardo's: 120 years of caring for children (Hodder & Stoughton, 1987)
  • Wagner, Gillian Barnardo (Weidenfeld & Nicholson, 1979)