Edinburgh City Council Homes

Children's establishments run by Edinburgh City Council.

  • Greendykes Family Group Home, 10 Greendykes Road, Edinburgh
  • 13 Southhouse Grove, Edinburgh
  • Glenallan Home, 142 Glenallan Drive, Edinburgh
  • 15 Moredun Park Court, Edinburgh
  • 17 Calder Grove, Edinburgh
  • 2 Ferniehill Street, Edinburgh
  • Ferniehill Chldren's Home, 2 Ferniehill Street, Edinburgh
  • St Katharine's Centre Secure Unit, 29B Balmwell Terrace, Edinburgh
  • 34 Northfield Drive, Edinburgh
  • Canaan Lodge Children's Home, 37 Canaan Lane, Morningside, Edinburgh
  • St Katherine's Children's Home, 49 Howden Hall Road, Liberton, Edinburgh
  • Oxgangs, 54 Oxgangs Drive, Edinburgh
  • St Helen's Residential Nursey, 7 West Coates, Edinburgh
  • Deanbank Children's Home, 35 Canaan Lane, Edinburgh
  • Fife Council Children's Home, Clerwood House, 96 Clermiston Road, Corstorphine, Edinburgh
  • Redhall House Children's Home, Craiglockhart Drive, Slateford, Edinburgh
  • Craigleith Children's Home, Crewe Road, Edinburgh
  • Southhouse Road, Edinburgh
  • Edinburgh School Board Day Industrial School, St John's Hill, Edinburgh
  • Bruntsfield House, Whitehouse Loan, Edinburgh
  • Regional Assessment Centre, Edinburgh
  • Wellington Farm School for Boys / Wellington School, Leadburn, Penicuik


Surviving records for council-run children's homes are generally held in each council's own internal archives. Prior to 1991, however, when a legal requirement was introduced for councils to retain records of children leaving their care, the survival of such records is very variable. Contact details for local authorities in the UK can be found on the website of the Care Leavers Association (CLA). The CLA also provides guidance on accessing childhood care files, which are normally only open to the individuals they relate to.

Older records may sometimes be placed with the relevant county or borough record office. Many of these offices have online catalogues of their holdings and also contribute to the National Archives' Discovery database. Note that records containing personal data usually have access closed for a period of fifty years or more.

Older material relating to Edinburgh Council homes may exist at:

Some records relating to council-run homes, for example inspection reports, are held by The National Archives (TNA). Again, a closure period may apply to these records.