St Ninian's School, Kirkconnel, Dumfriesshire / Gartmore, Perthshire, Scotland
On 26 August 1946, the St Ninian's Approved School for Roman Catholic Boys was certified to operate in premises at the north side of Kirkconnel, Dumfriesshire. The School was managed by the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Glasgow and run by the De Las Salle Brothers.
In 1953, the School relocated to Gartmore House, Gartmore, Perthshire (now Sterlingshire). It was formally certified to begin operation in its new premises on 30 September 1953,
Following Scotland's 1968 Social Work Act, the establishment became a 'List D' School.
The School closed in 1982. Gartmore is now used as a conference centre.
Since the School's closure, several former members of staff have been convicted of physical and sexual abuse of the inmates.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- No records noted at present for this establishment — any information welcome.
- None noted at present.
- No surviving local records identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.