Hampshire County Council Homes
Children's establishments run by Hampshire County Council.
- Hatch House, Alton
- Hill House, Alton
- Copsehill, 28 Shepherd's Row, Andover
- Hillview, Dene Path, Dene Road, Andover
- Uplands, Dene Path, Dene Road, Andover
- Woodend, 26 Shepherd's Row, Andover
- Kents Oak, Awbridge
- 36 Martin Close, Basingstoke
- Home for Wage Earning Girls, 49 Cliddesden Road, Basingstoke
- Maryland, Basingstoke
- Boys' Garden Colony, Southview House, Vyne Road, Basingstoke
- Woodlands, Basingstoke
- Foresters, 1 Rhinefield Close, Brockenhurst
- Farleigh Dene, Cliddesden
- Central Nursery, Tilden Road, Compton
- Compton 'A' and 'B' Homes, Tilden Road, Compton
- Lavender Cottage, Dippenhall Street, Crondall
- Rosemary Cottage, Pankridge Street, Crondall
- Farnham & Hartley Wintney District School / Hampshire Council School, Wimble Hill, Crondall
- Home for Boys, Stonecroft, 8 Leigh Road, Havant
- St Margraret's Home for Boys, Nations Hill, Headbourne Worthy
- St Nicholas Home, Nations Hill, Headbourne Worthy
- Solent Cottage, Hill Head
- Horndean House (Boys), Horndean
- St Margaret's Home, Nations Hill, Kings Worthy*
- St Nicholas' Home, Nations Hill, Kings Worthy*
- St Boniface Home for Boys, 20-21 Marine Parade West, Lee on the Solent
- St Catherine's Nursery, Lee on the Solent
- Five Trees, Liss
- Merryfield, Liss
- Bench View, Southampton Road, Lyndhurst
- Redcroft, 18 George Road, Milford on Sea
- Glendalyn, New Milton
- Sunnyfield, Odiham
- The Mead, Cemetery Hill, Odiham
- Residential Nursey / Children's Home, Crossways, Milkingpen Lane, Old Basing
- Kents Oak Home for Boys, Awbridge, Romsey
- Reception Home / Boys ' Home, Palmerston House, Botley Road, Romsey
- St Edward's School, Melchet Court, Sherfield English, Romsey
- Glen House Remand Home, Glen Road, Sarisbury Green, Southampton
- Residential Nursery, Westwood, Swanwood
- Meon Cottage, Bedford Lane, Wickham
- Springfield, Bedford Lane, Wickham
- Remand Home for Boys, Ashbourne Lodge, Andover Road, Winchester
- Reception Home, Palm Hall, Northbrook Avenue, Winchester
- Milesdown Home for Boys, Quarry Road, Winchester
- Remand Home for Girls, Red Hatch, Andover Road, Winchester
- St Cross Mede Nursery, St Cross, Winchester
- Winton House School, Winton House, Andover Road, Winchester
- Abbey Wells, Woolton Hill
Isle of Wight
* indicates link to pages on www.workhouses.org.uk.
Surviving records for council-run children's homes are generally held in each council's own internal archives. Prior to 1991, however, when a legal requirement was introduced for councils to retain records of children leaving their care, the survival of such records is very variable. Contact details for local authorities in the UK can be found on the website of the Care Leavers Association (CLA). The CLA also provides guidance on accessing childhood care files, which are normally only open to the individuals they relate to.
Older records may sometimes be placed with the relevant county or borough record office. Many of these offices have online catalogues of their holdings and also contribute to the National Archives' Discovery database. Note that records containing personal data usually have access closed for a period of fifty years or more.
Older material relating to Hampshire Council homes may exist at:
- Hampshire Record Office, Sussex Street, Winchester SO23 8TH.
- Portsmouth City Records Office, Portsmouth History Centre, Central Library, Guildhall Square, Portsmouth, Hampshire PO1 2DX.
Some records relating to council-run homes, for example inspection reports, are held by The National Archives (TNA). Again, a closure period may apply to these records.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.