St Gabriel's Home, Horsforth, West Riding of Yorkshire
In 1943, the Rescue and Protection Society of the Catholic Diocese of Leeds acquired a large house on Scotland Lane, Horsforth, near Leeds, for use as a home for babies and toddlers. In 1946, it was decided that the building was unsuitable for this purpose and premises were instead used for housing up to 249 older boys. The initial inmates came from the Society's St John's Institute at Boston Spa, having been evacuated there in 1940 from the St Vincent's Home in Leeds.
The home closed in 1964 and the property was then used as a home for retired priests from the Leeds Diocese. The property has now been converted to private residential use.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- Catholic Care (Diocese of Leeds), 11 North Grange Road Headingley, Leeds LS6 2BR.
- Leeds Roman Catholic Diocesan Archives, Hinsley Hall, 62 Headingley Lane, Leeds LS6 2BX. Has Leeds Diocesan Rescue and Protection Society Annual Reports (1912 onwards).
- Finnigan, Robert et al, 150th Anniversary History 1863-2013 Catholic Care, Diocese of Leeds (2013, Catholic Care)
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.