St Mary's Home for Girls, Kibworth, Leicestershire

The St Mary's Home for Girls was opened by the Waifs and Strays Society at Kibworth Hall, a Georgian mansion at Kibworth in Leicestershire. It was used as a wartime evacuation home for children from the St Mary's Home for Girls at Felixstowe which had operated as an Approved School since 1935.

Kibworth Hall, Kibworth, c.1905. © Peter Higginbotham

Former St Mary's Home for Girls, Kibworth, 2013. © Peter Higginbotham

In 1945, the Society bought the property and it continued to operate as an Approved School. The establishment closed in 1955, then in 1958 the premises were were taken over as part of Glenfrith Hospital.

The house is now in private ownership.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.

Bibliography

  • Bowder, Bill Children First: a photo-history of England's children in need (1980, Mowbray)
  • Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society [Rudolfe, Edward de Montjoie] The First Forty Years: a chronicle of the Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society 1881-1920 (1922, Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society / S.P.C.K.)
  • Rudolf, Mildred de Montjoie Everybody's Children: the story of the Church of England Children's Society 1921-1948 (1950, OUP)
  • Stroud, John Thirteen Penny Stamps: the story of the Church of England Children's Society (Waifs and Strays) from 1881 to the 1970s (1971, Hodder and Stoughton)
  • Morris, Lester The Violets Are Mine: Tales of an Unwanted Orphan (2011, Xlibris Corporation) — memoir of a boy growing up in several of the Society's homes (Princes Risborough, Ashdon, Hunstanton, Leicester) in the 1940s and 50s.