Alexandra Home for Girls, Kilburn, London

In 1906, the Alexandra Home for Girls, at 176 Alexandra Road, Kilburn, was taken over by the Waifs and Strays Society. The home, originally known as the Orphanage of Mercy, had been founded in 1875 by the Church Extension Association, an Anglican order.

Moving from Kilburn to Loughton, 1908. © Peter Higginbotham

Due its cramped conditions and proximity to a railway line, the home closed in 1908 and relocated to a new property at Loughton in Essex.

The Kilburn property, later renamed/renumbered as 19 Langtry Road, no longer survives.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.

Bibliography

  • Bowder, Bill Children First: a photo-history of England's children in need (1980, Mowbray)
  • Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society [Rudolfe, Edward de Montjoie] The First Forty Years: a chronicle of the Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society 1881-1920 (1922, Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society / S.P.C.K.)
  • Rudolf, Mildred de Montjoie Everybody's Children: the story of the Church of England Children's Society 1921-1948 (1950, OUP)
  • Stroud, John Thirteen Penny Stamps: the story of the Church of England Children's Society (Waifs and Strays) from 1881 to the 1970s (1971, Hodder and Stoughton)
  • Morris, Lester The Violets Are Mine: Tales of an Unwanted Orphan (2011, Xlibris Corporation) — memoir of a boy growing up in several of the Society's homes (Princes Risborough, Ashdon, Hunstanton, Leicester) in the 1940s and 50s.