Nazareth House, Kilmarnock, Ayrshire, Scotland

In 1894, the Sisters of Nazareth in Kilmarnock, who for some time had been based in a small house in the town, began to raise the £1,615 required to purchase a house and over two acres of ground at Hawket Park, Hill Street, Kilmarnock. In due course, the property became a Nazareth House, providing care for the aged poor of all denominations and for orphan and destitute girls.

Nazareth House, Kilmarnock, date unknown. © Peter Higginbotham

In more recent times, the institution operated as a care home for up to 47 elderly residents. Following the home's closure, the premises have been converted to flats known as Derwent House.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.

  • Sisters of Nazareth Archive, Sisters of Nazareth Archive, Nazareth House, 169-175 Hammersmith Road, London W6 8DB. The archivist is Christine Hughes. The archive contains material from the very beginnings of the order in the 1850s up until the present day. The archive is not open to the public and does not have facilities for personal searchers, although exceptions can be made for Sisters and for academic researchers. Enquiries are welcomed by post only for privacy and confidentiality reasons and replies are by also letter. There is no fee for dealing with enquiries, although donations to the Sisters are appreciated.

Bibliography