Kilmore Probationary Industrial School for Roman Catholic Boys, Fairview, Co. Dublin, Republic of Ireland
The Kilmore Probationary Industrial School for Roman Catholic Boys was opened in 1881. It was intended to receive only young offenders below the age of twelve years of age, who previously would have been placed in a Reformatory. Kilmore was intended to remove such boys from the possible bad influence of older inmates who might already have become habitual criminals. At the age of twelve, Kilmore inmates were transferred to other Industrial Schools or, after eighteen months at the institution, placed with relations if any be found worthy and willing to receive them.
Kilmore was formally certified to begin operation on 24 June 1881, accommodating up to fifty boys. The premises occupied a property known as Kilmore House, at the west side of Kilmore Road, Fairview, about a mile form the Artane Industrial School. Both Kilmore and Artane were run by members of the Congregation of the Christian Brothers. Artane became the usual destination of Kilmore inmates who reached the age of twelve.
An inspection of Kilmore in November 1881 noted that the boys had transformed the large weed-infested garden of the old house into well-cultivated ground with excellent crops. The boys had dammed a branch of a small stream to create a very large swimming bath. When not in the open air, the boys did needlework, cooking, cleaning, and all the work of the establishment. They also learned fretwork. The staff comprised the manager, Brother P.A. Nolan, and an assistant teacher, who also acted as singing master and bandmaster. A skilled gardener was also employed, and a pensioned chief boatman of the Royal Navy, who taught the boys drill.
In 1884, the buildings were extended and the capacity of the School increased to 100 places. Some of the boys were now occupied in toy-making and large quantities of the items produced were exported to England and other places.
In 1894, the School was transferred to new premises at Monkstown, near Dun Laoghaire, where it then operated as as an all-age establishment.
The Kilmore School buildings no longer survive and the site is now covered by the housing of Ardmore Drive.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- Christian Brothers Province Centre, Griffith Avenue, Marino, Dublin 9. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Barnes, Jane Irish Industrial Schools 1868-1908 (1989, Irish Academic Press)
- Dunne, Joe The Stolen Child: A Memoir (2003, Marion Books)
- Rafferty, Mary and O'Sullivan, Eoin Suffer the Little Children: The Inside Story of Ireland's Industrial Schools (1999, New Island Books)
- Touher, Patrick Fear of the Collar: Artane Industrial School - My Extraordinary Childhood (1991, O'Brien Press)
- Tyrrell, Peter and Whelan, Diarmuid Founded on Fear: Letterfrack Industrial School (2006, Irish Academic Press)
- Wall, Tom The boy from Glin Industrial School (2015, Tom Wall)
- Mahood, Linda Policing Gender, Class and Family: Britain, 1850-1940 (1995, Univeristy of Alberta Press)
- Prahms, Wendy Newcastle Ragged and Industrial School (2006, The History Press)
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.