Newman House Auxiliary Home for Working Boys, Liverpool, Lancashire
On March 15th, 1905, an Auxiliary Home for Roman Catholic Working Boys was opened at 99 Shaw Street, Liverpool. It was run by Father Berry's Homes for Friendless Catholic Children. The premises, which had previously housed the offices of the Catholic Children's Protection Society, now became known as Newman House, after Cardinal John Henry Newman. The Home provided supervised hostel-style accommodation for up to 56 boys who had left, or were on licence from, one of the city's Catholic Boys' Industrial Schools. Newman House also acted as a club for 'old boys' of the Schools.
The Home closed on April 17th, 1913.
In later years, the premises were occupied by the Catholic Deaf Society. The building no longer exists.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- No records noted at present for this establishment — any information welcome.
- Mahood, Linda Policing Gender, Class and Family: Britain, 1850-1940 (1995, Univeristy of Alberta Press)
- Prahms, Wendy Newcastle Ragged and Industrial School (2006, The History Press)
- None noted at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.