North Devon Convalescent Children's Home, Lynton, Devon
The North Devon Convalescent Children's Home, at Lynton, was officially opened on July 28th, 1924, by Lord Portsmouth. Its premises, known as Clooneavin, were the private residence of the establishment's founder, Mr Robert Living. The photo below indicates the location of the Home and the extent of its grounds.
The Home aimed to provide convalescent facilities for children needing surgical dressings and other special treatment who were not accepted by ordinary convalescent homes. No infectious cases were accepted, however. The Home had 24 beds, which were soon fully occupied, and 52 patients were treated in its first year of operation, several staying from six to nine months. Patients were charged according to the means of their parents, or those sending them, and no child was refused admission on account of their parents' inability to pay.
In 1948, Robert Living put the institution up for sale 'owing to Government legislation'. It was described at that date as having accommodation for 55 children, staff, and with a private flat, and set in eight acres of gardens, orchard, etc. The Home was then taken over by J.H. Leonard Lloyd.
In 1950, Lloyd opened a second convalescent home at Christchurch, Dorset. The following year, allegations of the indecent assault of children led to a subsequent court case. Although the charges were dismissed, both homes closed.
In 1964, the Lynton property was converted into holiday flats.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- The National Archives, Kew, Richmond, Surrey, TW9 4DU. Holds a few files relating to the Home.
- None noted at present.
- No surviving local records identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.