Nazareth House, Middlesbrough, North Riding of Yorkshire

A Nazareth House was established in 1880 at Albert Park Road (now Park Road North), Middlesbrough. It provided accommodation both for the elderly poor and for destitute and orphan children — primarily Roman Catholic girls. In 1897, the home could house 122 girls aged from 2 to 12 years at their date of admission. By 1930, the capacity had risen to 206 places.

Nazareth House, Middlesbrough, c.1910. © Peter Higginbotham

Former Nazareth House, Middlesbrough, 2013. © Peter Higginbotham

Former Nazareth House, Middlesbrough, 2013. © Peter Higginbotham

Former Nazareth House, Middlesbrough, 2013. © Peter Higginbotham

Former Nazareth House, Middlesbrough, 2013. © Peter Higginbotham

Former Nazareth House, Middlesbrough, 2013. © Peter Higginbotham

Since 2007, the premises have been occupied by the Victoria House Care Centre

A memoir of what life was like for the girls in the home has been written by Anne Fothergill (details below).

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.

  • Sisters of Nazareth Archive, Sisters of Nazareth Archive, Nazareth House, 169-175 Hammersmith Road, London W6 8DB. The archivist is Christine Hughes. The archive contains material from the very beginnings of the order in the 1850s up until the present day. The archive is not open to the public and does not have facilities for personal searchers, although exceptions can be made for Sisters and for academic researchers. Enquiries are welcomed by post only for privacy and confidentiality reasons and replies are by also letter. There is no fee for dealing with enquiries, although donations to the Sisters are appreciated.

Bibliography