Nazareth House, Bonnyrigg and Lasswade, Midlothian, Scotland

A Nazareth House was established in 1933 in a Victorian property known as Eldin House at 13 Hillhead, in the Burgh of Bonnyrigg and Lasswade, just a few miles to the south-east of Edinburgh. A large new building was subsequently erected at its rear. Like most other Nazareth Houses, the establishment housed the aged poor and also destitute and orphan children — primarily Roman Catholic girls.

Nazareth House still continues as a care home for the elderly.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.

  • Sisters of Nazareth Archive, Sisters of Nazareth Archive, Nazareth House, 169-175 Hammersmith Road, London W6 8DB. The archivist is Christine Hughes. The archive contains material from the very beginnings of the order in the 1850s up until the present day. The archive is not open to the public and does not have facilities for personal searchers, although exceptions can be made for Sisters and for academic researchers. Enquiries are welcomed by post only for privacy and confidentiality reasons and replies are by also letter. There is no fee for dealing with enquiries, although donations to the Sisters are appreciated.

Bibliography