Monmouthshire County Council Homes
Children's establishments run by Monmouthshire County Council.
- The Elms, Belmont Road, Abergavenny
- Residential Nursery, Hatherleigh Place, Abergavenny
- Coed Glas Special Nursey / Reception Centre, Abergavenny
- Bedwellty Union / Monmouthshire Council Scattered Homes, 29-31 Lilian Road, Blackwood*
- 65 Montclaire Avenue, Blackwood
- Bryntirion, 29 Lilian Road, Blackwood
- Bedwellty Union / Monmouthshire Council Scattered Home, Cefn Road, Blackwood*
- Newport Union / Monmouthshire Council Home, Vale View, Mill Street, Caerleon*
- 30 Herbert Road, Caldicot
- Remand Home for Boys, Crick House, Crick, Chepstow
- 2 Shelley Green, Penywaun, Cwmbran
- Ty Plant, 6 Gorsedd Close, Garnlyddan, Ebbw Vale
- Bedwellty Union / Monmouthshire Council Scattered Homes, Mount Pleasant Road, Ebbw Vale*
- Cartref, St James' Square, Monmouth
- Monmouth Court, Drybridge Park, Monmouth
- St Euphrasia's School for Girls, Troy House, Troy, Monmouth
- Family Group Home, 2 Central Avenue, Pantside, Newbridge
- 57 Central Avenue, Oakdale
- Pontypool Union / Monmouthshire Council Cottage Homes, Coedygric Road, Griffithstown, Pontypool*
- Bedwellty Union / Monmouthshire Council Scattered Home, Trigfan, 11 The Terrace, Rhymney*
- Chepstow Union / Monmouthshire Council Cottage Homes, 7-10 The Terrace, Sudbrook Road, Sudbrook*
- Bedwellty Union / Monmouthshire Council Cottage Homes, Park Row / Parkside, Tredegar*
* indicates link to pages on www.workhouses.org.uk.
Surviving records for council-run children's homes are generally held in each council's own internal archives. Prior to 1991, however, when a legal requirement was introduced for councils to retain records of children leaving their care, the survival of such records is very variable. Contact details for local authorities in the UK can be found on the website of the Care Leavers Association (CLA). The CLA also provides guidance on accessing childhood care files, which are normally only open to the individuals they relate to.
Older records may sometimes be placed with the relevant county or borough record office. Many of these offices have online catalogues of their holdings and also contribute to the National Archives' Discovery database. Note that records containing personal data usually have access closed for a period of fifty years or more.
Older material relating to Monmouthshire Council homes may exist at:
- Gwent Archives, Steelworks Road, Ebbw Vale NP23 6DN.
Some records relating to council-run homes, for example inspection reports, are held by The National Archives (TNA). Again, a closure period may apply to these records.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.