Glandare House, Newport, Monmouthshire, Wales

In December 1970, Barnardo's opened its Glandare House home at Parret Road on the Bettws Estate, Newport. As well as a mixed children's home, the development included a day care unit. The home replaced an older property at Aberdare, also known as Glandare House, whose children were transferred to the new premises.

Former Glandare House home, Newport, 2103. © Peter Higginbotham

Former Glandare House home, Newport, 2103. © Peter Higginbotham

The building has now become the Mill Heath Nursing Home.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.

Bibliography

  • Barnardo, Syrie Louise, and Marchant, James Memoirs of the Late Dr Barnardo (Hodder & Stoughton, 1907)
  • Batt, J.H. Dr. Barnardo: The Foster-Father of "Nobody's Children" (S.W. Partridge, 1904)
  • Bready, J. Wesley Doctor Barnardo (Allen & Unwin, 1930)
  • Rose, June For the Sake of the Children: Inside Dr. Barnardo's: 120 years of caring for children (Hodder & Stoughton, 1987)
  • Wagner, Gillian Barnardo (Weidenfeld & Nicholson, 1979)