Nazareth House, Northampton, Northamptonshire

A Nazareth House was established in 1875 on Leicester (now Barrack) Road, Northampton. It provided accommodation both for the elderly poor and for destitute and orphan children — primarily Roman Catholic girls. The home could house up to 60 girls, and was certified to receive those placed by the Boards of Guardians who operated the workhouse and poor relief system, with a charge of 5s. to 9s. per week being made for each child.

Nazareth House, Leicester Road, Northampton, date unknown. © Peter Higginbotham

Nazareth House, Leicester Road, Northampton, 2013. © Peter Higginbotham

Nazareth House, Leicester Road, Northampton, 2013. © Peter Higginbotham

Nazareth House, Leicester Road, Northampton, 2013. © Peter Higginbotham

Nazareth House, Leicester Road, Northampton, 2013. © Peter Higginbotham

In the 1970s, the home moved to new premises at 116 Harlestone Road, Northampton.

Nazareth House, Harlestone Road, Northampton, 2013. © Peter Higginbotham

The Harlestone Road premises are now occupied by The Dallingtons care home for the elderly. Since 1977, the Leicester Road site has been home to Bosworth Independent College.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.

  • Sisters of Nazareth Archive, Sisters of Nazareth Archive, Nazareth House, 169-175 Hammersmith Road, London W6 8DB. The archivist is Christine Hughes. The archive contains material from the very beginnings of the order in the 1850s up until the present day. The archive is not open to the public and does not have facilities for personal searchers, although exceptions can be made for Sisters and for academic researchers. Enquiries are welcomed by post only for privacy and confidentiality reasons and replies are by also letter. There is no fee for dealing with enquiries, although donations to the Sisters are appreciated.

Bibliography