Norwich Borough Council Homes
Children's establishments run by Norwich Borough Council.
- 100 Newmarket Road, Norwich
- Norwich Union/Council Scattered Homes, 10-12 North Walsham Road (now Constitution Hill), Norwich*
- Norwich Union/ Council Receiving Home, 110-112 Turner Road, Norwich*
- 17 Pearcefiled, Sprowston Road, Norwich
- Norwich Union/Council Scattered Home Boys), 18 St Faith's Lane, Norwich*
- 33 Sandy Lane, Norwich
- Woodlands, 381 Dereham Road, Norwich
- 58 Earlham Road, Norwich
- Hostel for Boys, 68 Palmer Road, Norwich
- Norwich Union/Council Scattered Home (Nursery), 96 Aylsham Road, Norwich*
- Thomas Anguish Home, Hospital Lane, Norwich
- Norwich Union/Council Scattered Home (Girls), Llandaff House, 80 Grove Road, Norwich*
- Hostel for Girls, Tillett Road East, Norwich
* indicates link to pages on www.workhouses.org.uk.
Surviving records for council-run children's homes are generally held in each council's own internal archives. Prior to 1991, however, when a legal requirement was introduced for councils to retain records of children leaving their care, the survival of such records is very variable. Contact details for local authorities in the UK can be found on the website of the Care Leavers Association (CLA). The CLA also provides guidance on accessing childhood care files, which are normally only open to the individuals they relate to.
Older records may sometimes be placed with the relevant county or borough record office. Many of these offices have online catalogues of their holdings and also contribute to the National Archives' Discovery database. Note that records containing personal data usually have access closed for a period of fifty years or more.
Older material relating to Norwich Council homes may exist at:
- Norfolk Record Office, The Archive Centre, Martineau Lane, Norwich NR1 2DQ.
Some records relating to council-run homes, for example inspection reports, are held by The National Archives (TNA). Again, a closure period may apply to these records.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.