Nazareth House, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire

In 1876, a Nazareth House was established in a building known as The Priory, situated at Priory Street, Old Lenton, Nottingham. It provided accommodation both for the elderly poor and for destitute and orphan children. The home was certified to receive children, primarily those of the Roman Catholic faith, placed by the Boards of Guardians who operated the workhouse and poor relief system. In 1897, the home could house up to 133 boys and girls aged from 2 to 12 years at their time of admission, with a charge of 4s. 6d. to 5s. per week being made for each child.

Most of the former Nazareth House buildings were demolished in 2005 although the original Priory block survives.

Former Nazareth House, Nottingham, 2013. © Peter Higginbotham

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.

  • Sisters of Nazareth Archive, Sisters of Nazareth Archive, Nazareth House, 169-175 Hammersmith Road, London W6 8DB. The archivist is Christine Hughes. The archive contains material from the very beginnings of the order in the 1850s up until the present day. The archive is not open to the public and does not have facilities for personal searchers, although exceptions can be made for Sisters and for academic researchers. Enquiries are welcomed by post only for privacy and confidentiality reasons and replies are by also letter. There is no fee for dealing with enquiries, although donations to the Sisters are appreciated.

Bibliography