Oxfordshire County Council Homes
Children's establishments run by Oxfordshire County Council.
- Sherwood House Nursery, 114 Greys Road, Henley on Thames
- Henley Union / Oxfordshire Council Home, Radnor House, 35 New Street, Henley on Thames*
- Banbury Union / Oxfordshire Council Homes, 'The Lawn' and 'Greystones', Horley*
- Thornbury House Remand Home, The Moors, Kidlington
- Home for Infants, Kirtlington Park, Kirtlington
- Long House, Park Lane, Long Hanborough
- Holme Leigh, 376 Banbury Road, Oxford
- Heyford Hill House Remand Home, Heyford Hill Lane, Littlemore, Oxford
- Yarnton House, Yarnton, Oxford
- Shillingford Homes, Shillingford House, Warborough
- Morland House, London Road, Wheatley
- The Elms Hostel, 9 Church Green, Witney
- Oakfield House, Church Green, Witney
* indicates link to pages on www.workhouses.org.uk.
Surviving records for council-run children's homes are generally held in each council's own internal archives. Prior to 1991, however, when a legal requirement was introduced for councils to retain records of children leaving their care, the survival of such records is very variable. Contact details for local authorities in the UK can be found on the website of the Care Leavers Association (CLA). The CLA also provides guidance on accessing childhood care files, which are normally only open to the individuals they relate to.
Older records may sometimes be placed with the relevant county or borough record office. Many of these offices have online catalogues of their holdings and also contribute to the National Archives' Discovery database. Note that records containing personal data usually have access closed for a period of fifty years or more.
Older material relating to Oxfordshire Council homes may exist at:
- Oxfordshire Record Office, St Luke's Church, Temple Road, Cowley, Oxford OX4 2EX.
Some records relating to council-run homes, for example inspection reports, are held by The National Archives (TNA). Again, a closure period may apply to these records.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.