St John's Home, Palgrave, Diss, Suffolk

The St John's Home (sometimes also referred to as the Goodrich Home) was opened by the Children's Society (formerly the Waifs and Strays Society) in 1955 at Lion Road, Palgrave, near Diss, in Suffolk. The property, which had extensive grounds, was a bequest to the Society by its former occupier, Miss Sarah A. Goodrich.

Former St John's Home, Palgrave, 2013. © Peter Higginbotham

The home's initial residents came from the Gordon House home at Croydon.

The home's remote location proved inconvenient and it was closed in 1970. The property is now used for commercial purposes.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.

Bibliography

  • Bowder, Bill Children First: a photo-history of England's children in need (1980, Mowbray)
  • Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society [Rudolfe, Edward de Montjoie] The First Forty Years: a chronicle of the Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society 1881-1920 (1922, Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society / S.P.C.K.)
  • Rudolf, Mildred de Montjoie Everybody's Children: the story of the Church of England Children's Society 1921-1948 (1950, OUP)
  • Stroud, John Thirteen Penny Stamps: the story of the Church of England Children's Society (Waifs and Strays) from 1881 to the 1970s (1971, Hodder and Stoughton)
  • Morris, Lester The Violets Are Mine: Tales of an Unwanted Orphan (2011, Xlibris Corporation) — memoir of a boy growing up in several of the Society's homes (Princes Risborough, Ashdon, Hunstanton, Leicester) in the 1940s and 50s.