Stockport Borough Council Homes
Children's establishments run by Stockport Borough Council.
- Stockport Union Scattered Home, The Cottage, 2 Heaton Road, Heaton Norris*
- Stockport Union/Council Scattered Home, 1 Mount Vernon, Turncroft Lane, Stockport*
- Family Group Home, 19 Dawlish Avenue, Brinnington, Stockport
- Family Group Home, 2 Whitelea Drive, Adswood, Stockport
- Receiving Home, 20 St Thomas Place, Stockport
- Family Group Home, 3 Harwich Close, Brinnington, Stockport
- Family Group Home, 52 Norcross Close, Offerton, Stockport
- Family Group Home, 53 Alvanley Crescent, Bridgehall, Stockport
- Family Group Home, 7 Otterburn Place, Offerton, Stockport
- Family Group Home, 72 Dial Park Road, Offerton, Stockport
- Strathclyde Residential Nursery, 90 Offerton Lane, Stockport
- Stockport Union/Council Scattered Home, Brook House, 41 Banks Lane, Stockport*
- Longwood, 13 St Lesmo Road, Stockport
- Westleigh, 21 Mauldeth Road, Heaton Mersey, Stockport
- West Bank School, 285 Didsbury Road, Heaton Mersey, Stockport
* indicates link to pages on www.workhouses.org.uk.
Surviving records for council-run children's homes are generally held in each council's own internal archives. Prior to 1991, however, when a legal requirement was introduced for councils to retain records of children leaving their care, the survival of such records is very variable. Contact details for local authorities in the UK can be found on the website of the Care Leavers Association (CLA). The CLA also provides guidance on accessing childhood care files, which are normally only open to the individuals they relate to.
Older records may sometimes be placed with the relevant county or borough record office. Many of these offices have online catalogues of their holdings and also contribute to the National Archives' Discovery database. Note that records containing personal data usually have access closed for a period of fifty years or more.
Older material relating to Stockport Council homes may exist at:
- Stockport Archives, Central Library, Wellington Road South, Stockport SK1 3RS.
Some records relating to council-run homes, for example inspection reports, are held by The National Archives (TNA). Again, a closure period may apply to these records.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.