Nazareth House, Swansea, Glamorgan, Wales

On 24th June, 1930, a property known as Murton Grange, on what is now Northway, at Clyne Common, Bishopston, near Swansea was purchased by the Sisters of Nazareth to replace their existing home for boys — Glan-yr-afon on Gower Road, Sketty. A new building was erected on the site which came into use in June, 1933. The Sketty property was eventually sold in February 1935.

The new Nazareth House provided accommodation for 190 destitute Roman Catholic boys aged from 2 to 14. This was unusual among Nazareth Houses which generally only accommodated boys up to the age of seven and then transferred them to other Catholic-run establishments.

Fete and Gala Day, Nazareth House, Swansea.

Infants at Nazareth House, Swansea.

Christmas at Nazareth House, Swansea.

The children's home closed in July, 1981. The building is now occupied by the Willow Court retirement village.


Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.

  • Sisters of Nazareth Archive, Sisters of Nazareth Archive, Nazareth House, 169-175 Hammersmith Road, London W6 8DB. The archivist is Christine Hughes. The archive contains material from the very beginnings of the order in the 1850s up until the present day. The archive is not open to the public and does not have facilities for personal searchers, although exceptions can be made for Sisters and for academic researchers. Enquiries are welcomed by post only for privacy and confidentiality reasons and replies are by also letter. There is no fee for dealing with enquiries, although donations to the Sisters are appreciated.



  • Thanks to Paul F. for information and pictures.