Training Ship 'Stork', Hammersmith, London
In March 1913, HMS Stork was donated by Royal Navy to the Kensington branch of the Navy League as a training ship for the sons of ex-servicemen who were dead or seriously disabled. The vessel was moored on the Thames at Hammersmith and could accommodate 60 boys, aged from 11 to 14½. The cadets were required to be of good character, physically fit and swim 50 yards in their clothes.
In 1948, the vessel was discovered to have dry rot in her timbers and was condemned. She was broken up in 1950.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- None identfied at present — any information welcome.
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- None identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.