St Nicholas' Home for Crippled Children, Upper Tooting, Surrey

The St Nicholas' Home for Crippled Children was established by the Waifs and Strays Society in 1887 at Talgarth House, 89 Trinity Road, Upper Tooting, Surrey. Its opening resulted from the Society's campaign, linked to Queen Victoria's golden jubilee celebrations, to provide care for children with physical disabilities. The home, which was officially opened on February 22nd, 1887, could accommodate 20 girls and small boys, aged from 3 to 12 years.

St Nicholas' Home for Crippled Children, Upper Tooting, c.1891. © Peter Higginbotham

The Trinity Road premises, only ever envisaged as temporary, were vacated in 1893 when the home moved to a larger and more suitable property at West Byfleet.

The Trinity Road building no longer exists.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.

Bibliography

  • Bowder, Bill Children First: a photo-history of England's children in need (1980, Mowbray)
  • Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society [Rudolfe, Edward de Montjoie] The First Forty Years: a chronicle of the Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society 1881-1920 (1922, Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society / S.P.C.K.)
  • Rudolf, Mildred de Montjoie Everybody's Children: the story of the Church of England Children's Society 1921-1948 (1950, OUP)
  • Stroud, John Thirteen Penny Stamps: the story of the Church of England Children's Society (Waifs and Strays) from 1881 to the 1970s (1971, Hodder and Stoughton)
  • Morris, Lester The Violets Are Mine: Tales of an Unwanted Orphan (2011, Xlibris Corporation) — memoir of a boy growing up in several of the Society's homes (Princes Risborough, Ashdon, Hunstanton, Leicester) in the 1940s and 50s.