Westminster London Borough Council Homes
Children's establishments run by Westminster London Borough Council.
- 1 Wordsworth Road, Britwell, Slough
- 105 Wordsworth Road, Britwell, Slough
- 2 Dove House Crescent, Britwell, Slough
- 22 Lansdowne Avenue, Slough
- 242 Lynch Hill Lane, Britwell, Slough
- 270 Long Furlong Drive, Britwell, Slough
- 35 Wordsworth Road, Britwell, Slough
- 88 Lynch Hill Lane, Britwell, Slough
- Killickdown, Heathbourne Road, Bushey Heath
London (N/NW Postal Areas)
- 30 Abercorn Place, St John's Wood†
- 17 Lapworth Court, Chichester Road, Paddington
- 34 Atherstone Court, Bourne Terrace, Paddington
- 34 Dartington House, Senior Street, Paddington
- 64 Lapworth Court, Chichester Road, Paddington
- 82 Atherstone Court, Bourne Terrace, Paddington
- 99 Bourne Terrace, Paddington
- 229 Long Elmes, Headstone Lane, Harrow
- Hampton Cottage, Oakdale, South Holmwood, Dorking†
- Nelson Cottage, Oakdale, South Holmwood, Dorking†
- Oakdale, South Holmwood, Dorking†
- Larchwood, Sandy lane, Crawley Down
† indicates homes previously run by a county council.
Surviving records for council-run children's homes are generally held in each council's own internal archives. Prior to 1991, however, when a legal requirement was introduced for councils to retain records of children leaving their care, the survival of such records is very variable. Contact details for local authorities in the UK can be found on the website of the Care Leavers Association (CLA). The CLA also provides guidance on accessing childhood care files, which are normally only open to the individuals they relate to.
Older records may sometimes be placed with the relevant county or borough record office. Many of these offices have online catalogues of their holdings and also contribute to the National Archives' Discovery database. Note that records containing personal data usually have access closed for a period of fifty years or more.
Older material relating to Westminster Council homes may exist at:
- City of Westminster Archives Centre, 10 St Ann's Street, London SW1P 2DE.
- London Metropolitan Archives, 40 Northampton Road, London EC1R OHB. (The Ancestry website also has LMA records relating to workhouses and other institutions — more details.)
Some records relating to council-run homes, for example inspection reports, are held by The National Archives (TNA). Again, a closure period may apply to these records.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.