Wiltshire County Council Homes
Children's establishments run by Wiltshire County Council.
- Cotswold School / The Cotswold Community, Spine Road West, Ashton Keynes
- Kingsmoor, The Ley, Box
- Merewether, Warren Crescent, Bryon's Close Estate, Calne
- Greenacres, Curzon Street, Calne
- Derriads Nursery, Derriads Lane, Chippenham
- Summerdale, 44 Broadleas Road, Devizes
- Porcombe House, Downton
- Starfield Reception Centre, Station Road, Holt
- Lea Court, Malmesbury
- 28A St Margaret's Mead, Marlborough
- Vaisey's Children's Home, Axford, Marlborough
- Sampford Place (Boys), 27 Shurnhold, Melksham
- Trowbridge & Melksham Union / Wiltshire Council Home (Girls), Honeywell House, 39 King Street, Melksham*
- Cricklade & Wootton Bassett Union / Wiltshire Council Home, Red Gables, 7 Restrop Road, Purton*
- Home for Girls, 24 St Edmund's Church Street, Salisbury
- Springfield, 25-27 Bishopdown Road, Salisbury
- Home for Boys, Bedwin Street, Salisbury
- Paccombe House, Downton, Salisbury
- The Laburnums (Boys), Springfield, Great Bedwyn Street, Salisbury
- Orchard House (Boys), Stratford Sub Castle, Salisbury
- Swindon & Highworth Union / Wiltshire Council Scattered Home, 2 The Villas, Swindon Road, Stratton*
- Swindon & Highworth Union / Wiltshire Council Scattered Home (Boys), The Limes, 21 Green Road, Stratton*
- Rehabilitation Hostel, The Close, Stratton St Margaret
- Home for Older Boys, The Limes, Stratton St Margaret
- Swindon & Highworth Union / Wiltshire Council Scattered Home (Girls), Olive House, 11 Prospect Place, Swindon*
- Ashlea, 53 Rutland Crescent, Trowbridge
- Ethandune, Hilperton Road, Trowbridge
- Trowbridge & Melksham Union / Wiltshire Council Home, Fern Cottage, 98 Ashton Street, Trowbridge*
- Bradley Road, Warminster
- Hillside, 117 Boreham Road, Warminster
* indicates link to pages on www.workhouses.org.uk.
Surviving records for council-run children's homes are generally held in each council's own internal archives. Prior to 1991, however, when a legal requirement was introduced for councils to retain records of children leaving their care, the survival of such records is very variable. Contact details for local authorities in the UK can be found on the website of the Care Leavers Association (CLA). The CLA also provides guidance on accessing childhood care files, which are normally only open to the individuals they relate to.
Older records may sometimes be placed with the relevant county or borough record office. Many of these offices have online catalogues of their holdings and also contribute to the National Archives' Discovery database. Note that records containing personal data usually have access closed for a period of fifty years or more.
Older material relating to Wiltshire Council homes may exist at:
- Wiltshire and Swindon Archives, Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre, Cocklebury Road, Chippenham SN15 3QN.
Some records relating to council-run homes, for example inspection reports, are held by The National Archives (TNA). Again, a closure period may apply to these records.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.